Who Am I?

The answer to that question should always be 24601—but in all seriousness, I would like to introduce myself as a new(ish) blogger. If you want to check out my blogs written for Authors 4 Authors, you can find them all categorized here.

So, really...who am I?

Well, my name is Rebecca Mikkelson, and I’m a fantasy author who works as an editor and the Chief of Business Development at Authors 4 Authors Publishing. I’ve been writing fantasy stories since my early teens for fun and I made my first foray into publishing in 2018 when my short story, “The Measure of a Princess,” was published for the first time in an anthology. (It has since been republished on its own in 2019.)  


I currently live in Hawaii with my husband of nine years, who I affectionately call Mr. M on all of my social media profiles, where we enjoy not going outside and avoiding the scare ball in the sky. In my free time, I like to cross-stitch and embroidery to relax when my cats aren't hogging the embroidery floss. I also enjoy reading a wide variety of books, ranging from non-fiction biographies of historical figures and families to high fantasy.


I’m currently suffering from severe germ-centric OCD that developed during the pandemic, and am in therapy to work on both myself and treat my OCD. I also have ADHD (minus the hyperactivity) that I self-regulate with a little too much caffeine, and pretty bad dyslexia. So you’re probably going to see a lot of typos in my blog posts. Don’t worry, the irony that I’m an author and publisher with dyslexia isn’t lost on me either. Sometimes our professions choose us. 

How did I start writing?

Well, as I said above, I started writing for fun in my early teens. I didn’t really start writing with any sort of seriousness until I lived in South Korea with Mr. M. Not long after we got married, we moved there for his work and I couldn’t get a job. I needed something to do—desperately. There were only so many times I could clean our super tiny apartment and rewatch The Lord of the Rings. 


One day, an idea popped into my head. I thought, “Why not?” and started writing the idea down. And then it spiraled from there and I was furiously writing every day until we left a year later. I was addicted and knew I wanted to get it published one day.

What am I working on?

I’m working on...a lot. I’ve got a six-book series and four stand-alone novels in various states of progress. At the moment, I’ll have a book coming out every year starting this year all the way until 2028. 

My first book, The Anatalian Soldier, is already in the hands of my fellow editors at Authors 4 Authors Publishing and will be coming out in December. What’s it about? Well, here’s the temporary blurb for it:


Liam Fulton wants to see the world beyond the vineyard his parents live and work on. The only option he sees is the Anatalian army. Shortly after he joins, war breaks out where he discovers a treasonous plot. Will he come away unscathed, or will his actions during the war irreparably change his life?


Margaret is just learning to fit in at court when her father falls gravely ill. The other courtiers start to pull away from her family, thinking they're cursed by God for reaching too high. Her mother, unable to handle the pressure of scrutiny, abandons them. Can Margaret figure out how to care for her father on her own?


Currently, I’m editing book two in my Anatalian series, The Anatalian Countess, as well as two of my four stand-alone novels: Bound, a Hades and Persephone myth retelling, and The Once and Future Queen, a gender-swap Arthurian-inspired novel. If you want to read those blurbs, you can always check out my Books section on my website. Or if you want to see if I can even write well, you can check out my flash fiction pieces here.


My other two stand-alone novels are a Christmas fantasy novel co-written with a friend and fellow author, and a ghostwriting project I’ve got to keep mum about. 



Look for my next post…sometime. I haven't decided on a schedule for these yet. I'm going to be talking a lot about myself for the first couple of posts, which is out of my comfort zone so...be prepared.

Did you like learning about me? You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.


Comments